Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Accessories - Hmong Purse (Part 2)

I went into a lot of details on the other purse, so I did not want to clutter it up with more pictures of purses.  Here are some more of my collection.  I have a few more, but don't have pictures of them yet.



The primary colors in this one is pink on a midnight blue background.  I also have a smaller version of this one.  The scarf is actually a Hmong inspired scarf sold at Target.  The hot pink leather jacket is by Nicola Berti.  The skinny jeans are from Sears and the boots are by Fitzwell because I have a large calf.  I ordered the boots from www.6pm.com.  The shirt is from Black House White Market.  It has a very pretty flora embroidery at the neckline.


I wanted a black one to coordinate with my black clothes.  In the pictures, the cross-stitch embroidery looks very golden, but they are actually not as bright.  More neutral looking, almost an oatmeal color.  With the black background, it is a nice compliment to my darker outfits.  My husband wanted to know why I have so many of them, but colors do make a difference when you are trying to create an outfit.  And believe it or not, the wrong color to break an outfit and the right one can take it up several notches.  Same base outfit as from above.  I exchanged the jacket for this beautiful Teri Jon velvet blazer.

Here is another picture of the black and tan purse.  In this outfit, I am wearing my Teri Jon bejeweled sweater.  It is adorned with rhinestones and real semi-precious stones.  It is absolutely gorgeous!!!



This one was made from a Hmong skirt as well.  I love the blues in this one.  At the time that I bought the very first purse of this kind, there was also a blue one, but I could not negotiate it low enough and decided to let it go.  Only to realize the next day that I really really need to have it.  But by the time that I went back, it was sold already.  I bought this one much later.  Is this obsession   Lolz... I hope not, but I have a nagging suspicion that it is.  As for the outfit, I am wearing a DKNY denim moto style jacket, a white V-neck T-shirt, dark blue skinny jeans and purplish brown suede boots.  The scarf is a cashmere/silk blend.  Scarves are another obsession of mine.  But we won't talk about it, at least not yet.


OK, so the 10 Commandment said that Thou shall not covted... but boy did I coveted this purse when I first saw it.  Because these purse are very stiff and boxy, they are expensive to ship, so between shipping and the price of the purse itself, it would have been around $125.  It was more than I wanted to pay, so I kept on watching it and coveted it more and more.  After several months, it went on sale and I negotiated it down to where I paid $80 for the purse and shipping.  I was a happy camper.  The embroidery on this one is from the Hmong living in China, also known as Miao, an ethnic group in China.  This is made from a baby carrier.  There are actually quite a few purses made out of this embroidery but I love this one for how it was put together.  The layout on the outside created the perfect frame for the flowers in the middle.

The outfit is the same base as above.  I exchanged the jacket for this beautiful gold Nicola Berti leather trench coat.  Yes, I am obsessed with leather jackets too.  I could never have enough of these.  I want to buy every single leather jacket that I come across.



Here are some pictures of the baby carriers being used.  Aren't they beautiful?












12 comments:

  1. where did you get your hmong purses from? they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mylove1,

    Most of them, I bought from ebay. Search under: Hmong Handbag. The rest, I buy from Hmong soccer tournaments or New Year celebrations. These are rare as the shape is bulky and very expensive to ship. I love them and want to collect as many as I can.

    Always,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who was the seller on eBay? Can you help to narrow the search?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the posts. I only saw details about the boxy one that was made from the baby carrier. I'm looking online right now and that style is not shown. Any keywords I should be using besides "Hmong handbag?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141340308122?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

    ReplyDelete
  7. youaremykind, the link above to the ebay seller is where I bought this purse.

    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/70/63/89/7063891f9addfd965fdd9070b2ec9c2d.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, I don't see many of these purses that are made from the vintage skirts of the Hmong from Laos or Vietnam anymore. I am afraid that they are slowly running out of these materials.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This auction is currently going on.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131082576924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is another ebay seller of the same style purses.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Womens-Ladies-Hobo-Handbag-Hmong-Ethnic-Embroidery-Shoulder-Tote-Bag-Purse-/181443336049?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&var=&hash=item2a3edd9771

    ReplyDelete
  11. EBAY SEARCH: Hmong Purse Cross Stitch (if all you want is the Hmong Lao or Vietnam ones).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is one from Etsy

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/164330168/hmong-classic-handbag?ref=listing-shop-header-4

    ReplyDelete